Dan Price is partner at Stone Loughlin & Swanson, LLP practicing civil and commercial litigation handling a range of cases from complex commercial and reinsurance disputes to insurance defense, workers’ compensation, regulation, and subrogation matters. He has represented clients in state and federal courts and administrative agencies throughout the country as both lead counsel and as a member of litigation teams. Dan’s particular areas of interest and experience include workers’ compensation, insurance insolvency law, state guaranty associations and guaranty funds, and fiduciary litigation. Dan is a native of Austin, Texas where he and his wife, Anna, work together to serve their community.
Areas of Concentration
- Commercial litigation
- Workers’ compensation defense, subrogation, and claims consulting
- Insurance insolvency, receivership, and guaranty association litigation and consulting
- Fiduciary litigation
- Texas A&M University (B.S., Political Science, 2000)
- Notre Dame Law School (J.D., 2003; Executive Editor, Journal of College and University Law)
Representative Matters and Clientele
- Counsel to workers’ compensation insurers in all aspects of claim dispute resolution, consulting, and subrogation, including in proceedings before the Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation, State Office of Administrative Hearings, and all state and federal courts.
- Counsel to insurers, employers, and professional employer organizations regarding workers’ compensation coverage disputes including addressing nature and extent of waivers of subrogation endorsements and indemnification provisions.
- Counsel to state property and casualty insurance guaranty associations in insurance insolvency and receivership matters, including coverage disputes, collection of deductibles under workers’ compensation policies, and causes of action arising under state guaranty fund statutes.
- Commercial litigation practice includes representation of corporations, officers, and directors in cases involving breach of fiduciary duty, unfair competition, misappropriation/theft of trade secrets, Texas Citizens Participation Act (TCPA)/Anti-SLAPP, breach of contract, theft of services, breach of confidentiality agreements, and institutional fraud.
- Special litigation counsel to bankruptcy trustee in successful prosecution and settlement of fraudulent transfer litigation under the Uniform Fraudulent Transfers Act, to recover on behalf of the trustee principal assets of the debtor transferred to related entities and concealed from disclosure to the bankruptcy court.
- Past experience includes serving on litigation team representing insurance receiver in asset recovery litigation prosecuted through federal multi-district litigation (MDL) with causes of action including RICO, breach of fiduciary duty, mail fraud, wire fraud, professional malpractice, among others.
Publications and Presentations
- Panelist, “Establishing a ‘New Normal’ During COVID-19,” National Webinar of the Center for Education Excellence, Workerscompensation.com and National Workers’ Compensation Defense Network, June 1, 2020.
- Co-Presenter, “Attorney vs. Attorney Issues in Workers’ Compensation,” 16th; Annual Advanced Workers’ Compensation Law Conference, State Bar of Texas August 22, 2019.
- Contributor, Challenges for First Responders – Workers’ Compensation Emerging Issues Analysis (Robinson & NWCDN 2019 Ed.).
- Panelist, “Workers’ Compensation Fraud – A National Perspective,” American Society of Workers’ Compensation Professionals Annual Conference, March 15, 2018.
- Panelist, “Southeastern Subrogation and Multi-Jurisdictional Issues Facing the Region, 2018 NWCDN Southeastern Regional Conference – New Orleans, National Workers’ Compensation Defense Network, July 19, 2018.
- Contributor, The Quiet Before the Storm – Workers’ Compensation Emerging Issues Analysis (Robinson & NWCDN 2018 Ed.).
- Panelist, “Issues for Receivers and Guaranty Associations in Collection of Large Deductible Obligations,” National Conference of Insurance Guaranty Funds 2017 Legal Seminar, June 22, 2017.
- Author, Chasing Large Deductibles for Guaranty Associations, presented to the National Conference of Insurance Guaranty Funds at the 2017 Legal Seminar, June 22-23, 2017.
- Contributor, The Year of Constitutional Challenges – Workers’ Compensation Emerging Issues Analysis (Robinson & NWCDN 2017 Ed.).
- In re Accident Fund General Insurance Company, 543 S.W.3d 750 (Tex. 2017).
- Cal. Ins. Guar. Assoc., et al. v. Hill Bros. Transp. Co., 497 S.W.3d 67 (Tex. App.—Austin 2016).
- Reitman v. Yandell, No. 02-17-00245, 2018 WL 1324775 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth 2018).
- Austin Bar Association
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Texas
- The Florida Bar
- Virginia State Bar
- American Bar Association
- American Society of Workers’ Compensation Professionals
- Board of Directors, Aggie Bar Association (President, 2013-14)
- Board of Directors, Young Men’s Business League of Austin/Austin Sunshine Camps (President, 2015)
- Board of Directors, Austin Symphony BATS (President, 2012-2014)
- Charter Member, Austin Young Chamber of Commerce
- Capital of Texas A&M Club
- Notre Dame Club of Austin
- Austin Core Team, Young Risk Professionals of Texas (Director of Outreach and Education, 2014-16)
- Board of Directors, Austin Symphony Orchestra (2020-Present)
- Planning Committee, No Worries Classic Charity Skeet Shoot benefiting Wonders and Worries (2019-Present)